Tuesday 2 September 2008

Arty Girlz weekly challenge #50 ALTER IT

This weeks challenge over on Arty Girlz is is 'Alter it'

so maybe you have a vase that needs jazzing up with some glass paints or a notebook that could do with a make over or maybe a photo frame? The choice is yours we can't wait to see your altered creations :)

I Altered a mirror The mirror was from Ikea and started life like this.




I covered the frame with moulding paste to give it texture (i love this stuff) while it was still wet i pushed the bottle into the paste on the right hand side to fix it in place, the bottle had bath salt in it at some point i liked the bottle so kept it.
when it was all dry i painted it with cream emulsion , when that dried i rubbed gold guilding cream all over the frame on top of the ripples.

Next i got some of the sea glass that we had collected on our travels rubbed guilding cream around the edges and hot glued it on to the bottle.

Then i rubbed some more guilding cream in to some more sea glass and tried to arrange it on the right hand side to look like a flower and stem, then hot glued the glass into place.

The finished Mirror

25 comments:

Powerful Search Engine said...

Hi Crissi I hope this beautiful creation is up on a wall in your home. It is so devine. I am thinking really hard about what I am going to create. Pascale:0

Julie Allain said...

This is gorgeous Crissi!!!

Heather Robinson said...

What a delight to hear how this fabulous piece was created. I didn't register the fact that you used sea glass until I saw it in your close-up photo. Wonderfully creative!

Ethel Amutan said...

Criss, I've never worked with molding paste. That is something that I have yet to try! Thank you for sharing your altered piece. It is beautiful and creative!

Unknown said...

This is fantastic Crissi, I am completely inspired by it, it's not just looking good, but is functional too. If thats not enough, you have used sea glass that you all collected as a family too!
AWESOME...
Jx

carolann said...

Well done hun its stunning xxxx

Rika said...

Really pretty!

Louise (KardKrazy) said...

What a great technique. Thanks for sharing how you made this lovely frame. I love that it's got a simple look, but is absolutely gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Crissi this is fab - really stunning!

JB-Crafting Supplies said...

Hi Crissi, Love your mirror, what a great idea!

Julie

Laura Kirste Campbell said...

What a beautiful transformation! A perfect summer artpiece to remember your journeys. From Ikea to Country Living magazine!

Gayle Page-Robak said...

What a gorgeous mirror..beautifully created! Elegant.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, what a good idea to use the glass.

xxxxxxx

Allison said...

what a lovely idea its great
AllisonX

Allison said...

what a lovely idea its great
AllisonX

Annie said...

oh wow speechless - that is just so amazing.

Ann xxx

Maria Matter said...

Crissi, your frame is too wonderful!!! What an inspiration! Ya know, I have some paste...OMGosh, maybe I'll use it for something as divine as this! Thank you so much for showing HOW you did this! Awesome!

vintage wil said...

Beautiful work !!!

Myriame said...

you have made something very beautiful, especially but splendidly

Deborah March said...

Oooohhh, NICELY done Crissi!

Sammie said...

Wow -that is A-mazing. I mosaic-ed an Ikea photo frame, but took the very easy repeat pattern option. You have been truly inspirational here.
SammieJay

Sally said...

Hi Crissi,

This is a beautiful frame.

I have received your comment about my work and am happy for you to use my work on your Inspirational Blog. Thank you very much for choosing my work.

Sally

http://onedragonsdream.blogspot.com/

Chriss Rollins said...

crissi this is a fab altered mirror.
chriss x

Ali said...

Wow! what a beautiful mirror it is now! You have done a fantastic job. Well done you!
I might be being thick but what is sea glass I have never heard of it before?

Karen Salva said...

oooo...aaaaaaah. This is real cool. Love the bottle vase. Ok, am going to have to add you to my blog roll and google reader so I do not miss anything!